Kaifi Azmi was born to a zamindar family in Mijwan, a tiny village in Azamgarh Eastern U.P. He believed that in a country like India where 80% of the population lives in the villages, we will need to empower rural India if real progress is to be made. Towards this objective, he formed an NGO called MIJWAN WELFARE SOCIETY(MWS) in 1993.
Today, his daughter, renowned actress/activist Shabana Azmi, carries forward the work started by her father along with her goddaughter Namrata Goyal.
- Self Reliance
- Sustainable Development
MWS aims to achieve these through:
- Primary Health and Sanitation
- Micro Credit
MWS Action Points:
- Through Empowerment, MWS brings social and economic equity to the villagers
- Through Education and Computer literacy it brings everyone, especially the girl child, into the mainstream of society
- By promoting village based small-scale industries and supporting it with marketing skills and strategies, MWS facilitates viable Self Employment
- KaifiAzmi High School for girls
- KaifiAzmi Inter College for Girls
- KaifiAzmi Computer Centre
- KaifiAzmi Sewing and Embroidery Centre
MWS has transformed Mijwan from being a village frozen in time to a model village by creating a template that is both replicable and scalable.